Monday, May 4, 2009

Skin Cancer Awareness Month

Did you know that May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month? This I did not know, but I am glad that I do now. Now living in Colorado where we get 300 days of sunshine I am VERY protective of myself and my children when it comes to sun exposure and I make sure to use good sun judgment. Hailing originally from Upstate NY where there is an ongoing sun dance and celebration when the sun actually decides to appear, we were less than protective and aware of sun damage when I lived there growing up. As a matter of fact I am a little appalled to think about the way I behaved in the sun wearing baby oil or tanning oil trying to capture that bronze tan look. Spending most of my High School summers "laying out" between the hours of 10am and 2pm to catch the "good sun". WOW, what a mistake. Luckily I have not seen much damage from that sun exposure, at least not yet, but now that we are exposed to the sun almost every day here in Colorado as well as a significant increase in altitude I am panicked if I go out without sunscreen. It is a part of my morning primp routine (I use Jason facial sunscreen) and I even keep a bottle of sunscreen within an arms reach at all times, one in the kitchen, one in the swim bag, on in the car, one in the soccer bag.... You get the picture. One of my favorite possessions and the item that determined the color of my bathing suit, is my Columbia UV wide brimmed hat! I wear it everywhere and love how light it is as well as knowing that I am protecting my face and shoulders from sun exposure.

For the boys I always make sure they have long swim trunks and UV protection swim shirts. Why haven't I mentioned any protective efforts for my husband? Well, he is an adult and not only that he enjoys his Columbia wide brimmed hat too. Seeing as though my handsome husband is bald, he is very protective of "The Motherland" and is very sun smart as well. Fortunately and unfortunately for Paul, he is not exposed to the sun as much as the boys and me seeing as though he is sitting in his office most of the days during the week. But now that he is a triathlete, sun protection is more on his mind!

For the boys, I usually pick up a swim shirt at Target or the local sports shop, but today a good friend of mine passed along an email from a company called UV Skinz and they are running a great promotion for the month, not to mention there is FREE shipping on all orders over $50. As a matter of fact I ended up buying myself the Sarah Long Sleeve Black and White Aloha UV swim shirt seeing as though we spend so much time in the sun and at the pool over the summer. I am looking forward to wearing my shirt knowing that I am protected.

So you may be wondering, what is this amazing promotion UV Skinz is running? Read below about the "Pay It Forward I Saved a Baby's Skin Today" promotion

Press Release: SUN SMART RIGHT FROM THE START

As spring days warm up, parents become more careful about protecting children from sun damage. UV Skinz promotes skin cancer awareness by shipping free Baby UV swim shirts with every order in May.

SONORA, CA – May 1, 2009 – With summer days fast approaching and in honor of Skin Cancer Awareness Month in May, UV Skinz UPF 50+ swim shirt company will evangelize skin and sun health through a unique promotion to get babies and infants covered. The company will ship a free UPF 50+ protective Baby Skinz swim shirt with every order placed in May.

“The intent is for customers to ‘pay it forward,’” says Rhonda Sparks who founded UV Skinz after losing her 32-year old husband to melanoma. “We hope our customers will donate the Baby Skinz to a charitable cause such as a women’s shelter, YMCA or even a neighbor in need. We want to get as many children covered as we can and with each donation, we hope to raise the level of awareness that much more.” Each May shipment will contain a free UV Baby Skinz along with a flyer encouraging customers to pass along the Baby Skinz to a chosen cause. UV Skinz was able to give away about 1,850 swim shirts for the May 2008 Skin Cancer Awareness promotion.
The company’s goal this year is to nearly double that as supplies allow.

Babies under age six months should not be in the sun at all. Most pediatricians recommend no direct sunlight exposure for infants within the first few years. However, most infants older than six months regularly spend some time outdoors, even if just for walks in a stroller, and should be sun protected from head to toe. Protecting babies’ skin, regardless of the season, is essential to good skin health and safe sun exposure into adulthood. “UV Skinz are free of harsh sunscreen chemicals that can not only irritate baby’s sensitive skin, but also are now suspected to affect hormone production and react with sunlight to produce free radicals, possibly contributing to some cancers,” said Sparks. “Parents should know that sunscreen SPF ratings indicate UVB protection but may not indicate protection from the more deeply penetrating UVA rays that damage skin’s connective tissue, can contribute to skin cancer development and are the primary causes of premature aging.” UV Skinz’ swim shirts carry a UPF50+ rating, blocking more than 98% of the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays.

The National Cancer Institute reports that many common cancer rates are falling but melanoma rates within the U.S. continue to grow at an alarming rate. Sparks implores parents to cover their children to prevent them from becoming the one in five Americans who will develop skin cancer. “I am doing all that I can to protect my children from suffering the same fate that their father suffered when we lost him to melanoma. I hope our Baby Skinz donation program will prevent more families from being impacted by this devastating disease.” UV Skinz produces hip, high quality UPF 50+ UV swim shirts for babies, kids and adults. After UV Skinz founder, Rhonda Sparks, lost her 32-year old husband to skin cancer, she made it her mission to raise awareness about the potentially harmful dangers of the sun. The UV Skinz website offers information and links for consumers interested in finding out more on how to fight skin
cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment