Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mango Chicken

Made the Mango Chicken recipe tonight for dinner. The kids said it was ok, and the darling husband said "You guys should tell Mommy thank you for another awesome dinner." Not really sure if that meant that he actually thought it was awesome or if he was just making a point! Tonight's meal was pretty good. I was excited about it because I love mangoes, but overall I would put it in the bland category. Of course this is probably due in part to my lack of spices.

I started prepping the ingredients and it seemed to take forever. Thank goodness for the Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Food Chopper! It really helps chop onions, garlic, anything you want to chop up. Once everything was prepped I started cooking, that was the easy part. The one thing I didn't do was add the curry and ginger. I thought it would be flavorful enough and I was worried that the kids wouldn't eat it. Not to mention the fact that I was just flat out too cheap to purchase 2 $6 bottles of spices. Why are spices sold in such large portions. I needed 1 tsp of curry, would that be worth $6? Apparently not, but there was definitely something missing from dinner. One other change I made in the recipe was instead of adding uncooked cubed chicken to the mango mixture I actually cooked the chicken in a separate pan and once about 90% cooked I added it to the mango sauce. I was just a little worried that the chicken wouldn't cooked thoroughly quick enough.

I served the Mango Chicken over brown rice and it tasted pretty good. For some reason I seem to need to serve dished like this over something, pasta or rice usually. Again I would say this recipe was ok, but it doesn't go on the top ten list! Pasta and Brocolli tomorrow, hopefully that is a little better!!!

Mango Chicken
1 ¼ pounds chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
¼ cup grapeseed oil
1 large onion
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup coconut milk
1 mango, peeled and diced

1. In a large saute pan, warm oil over medium heat
2. Add onions, stirring occasionally, cooking until soft, 5-10 minutes
3. Add red pepper, ginger, garlic, curry and salt, cook 5 minutes
4. Add vinegar, water, coconut milk and mango to pan, bring to a boil briefly, then reduce heat
5. Add chicken pieces, return to a low simmer
6. Cook for 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through –cut open largest piece to check
7. Garnish with cilantro
8. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment