Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna

On Tuesday I made Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Lasagna. Gluten Free you may be wondering. Why yes! I have been buying Tinkyada gluten free rice pasta from the grocery store and no one in my family even seems to notice. I was a little concerned about how lasagna in a crockpot would come out (figuratively and literally), especially seeing as though I could not find a gluten free lasagna noodle. I had to use spaghetti noodles, but surprisingly it come out great! Of course my husband likes anything that is made with Hot Sauce! Unfortunately the boys found it a little too hot, even though I used Mild Wing Sauce. So next time I may turn up the heat and make it with at least a Medium Wing Sauce, I think I will try this on my Brother and Sister in-law when they visit in April because they both love hot sauce!

The only down side to this recipe is that I had to pre-cook the chicken. This would be great if you had left over chicken or maybe even turkey. This is definitely on the top 10 list!

CrockPot Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Recipe

The Ingredients.

--uncooked traditional lasagna noodles (I used Tinkyada brand)
--4 already cooked chicken breast halves
--jar of prepared pasta sauce
--1 cup buffalo wing sauce
--3 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
--tub of ricotta cheese (15 oz)
--2 cups shredded cheese (mozzarella and cheddar blend)
--1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbles
--1/4 cup of water (add at very end)

The Directions.

use at least a 5qt crockpot, or cut back on the amount of ingredients.

In a large glass bowl, combine cooked and chopped chicken breast, the pasta sauce, and 1 cup of buffalo wing sauce. Ladle a big spoonful of the sauce into the bottom of your crockpot. Cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. You'll have to break them to get a proper fit. Add a smear of ricotta cheese to the top of the noodles. Add a layer of chopped bell pepper. Sprinkle on a handful of shredded cheese.

Repeat layers until you run out of ingredients.

Add the bleu cheese crumbles, if desired. Put the 1/4 cup of water into your empty pasta sauce jar and shake. Pour the liquid over the top of the entire lasagna.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 4-5. When cooking time is complete, unplug and take off the lid of the crock. Let it sit for 20 minutes before cutting into. Or it will fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment