Monday, March 9, 2009

Intestinal Anguish

So last week was quite interesting. I only wish I knew what hit me, how I got it and how I can avoid ever getting it again. If I hadn't talked to 3 friends who had the same problem I really would have thought that my insides were ripping up from the inside out and I was going to die. The pain was second only to my labor and in this case it was not the happy joyous pain of contractions because something amazing and beautiful is on the other side. Instead this was anguish, horrific pain that was unsolved by anything but time.

I woke up on Saturday feeling relatively normal but "loose" shall we say, without the need to too much gross detail. On Sunday we took the boys to the Butterfly Pavilion and it HIT me, I am not sure I remember anything from the Pavilion because I was so out of it I was just trying to hold it together long enough so the boys could see all of the exhibits. On the way home I fell asleep in the car and when we finally got back I crawled into bed and didn't get out until Monday morning, it was awful.

Throughout the week I felt relatively normal, but remained "loose" and completely unable (or afraid) to eat any solid food. I was completely on the liquid diet. I thought I was getting better until Wednesday. In the early evening I was HIT again and this time it was 10 times worse! I stayed up until 2am going back and forth cringing in pain and talking with one of my best friends from college as she explained that this was exactly what she went through. This was the point at which I hit rock bottom, I was sure death was eminent. Thankfully I woke up Thursday morning feeling like whatever had been cruelly badgering me had passed and I was on the mend. On Friday I finally had my first taste of solid food and I am finally back to my old self (more or less).

Throughout the week I had been taking Nux Vom and Pulsatilla given to me by Susan my homeopath. Nux Vom relieves downward gas, heartburn, hangovers, stress induced issues and flu like symptoms and Pulsatilla with its applications for gas, heartburn, hiccups, nausea, sluggish digestion, constipation, diarrhea, and practically everything gastric, this homeopathic remedy is an asset. I held out using these remedies and taking them diligently until Wednesday night when I crashed again and the paing became so intense. I of course called my mommy and she of course advised me to go the Urgent Care, which I did, knowing what they were going to say. Thankfully I didn't have to wait long and after the examination she said "Yes, you seem to have some sort of intestinal issue, but there's nothing we can really do for you. I recommend probiotics." The only other thing she recommended was doing a stool sample, but seeing as though there was no blood in my stool at the time (am I really discussing this with you) there was no indication of salmanella which was good. So she sent me home with a box of sample probiotics and that night I was opening the capsules up and putting the power directly onto my tongue rather than waiting for it to go through my stomach. I am now thinking that this is something I should be adding to my regular vitamin regimin. I just can't imagine eating as much yogurt as would be needed (considering the sugar content) so I think I am going to purchase some capsuls or liquid probiotics to take regular. Maybe this will help my odd digestive tract in general. We'll see. I am going to do some more research on probiotics and I will let you know what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment