Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Crockpot Jambalaya

Last night I made the Crockpot Jambalaya recipe that I had on the schedule for last week. Of course with my birthday messing everything up over the last few weeks and my busy business meeting schedule I didn't focus much on cooking last week and still had some recipes left over. So tonight I finally got it together to prepare a real dinner for my family.

The recipe for the Jambalaya was very easy. Of course I did have to pre-cook the sausage, but I just stuck it in the oven for 20-30 minutes and tried to make it as easy as possible on myself. Everyone seemed to like the dinner, I thought it was pretty good myself. In order to make it edible for the boys I only used mild sausage, I didn't want it to be too spicy. I picked up Mulay's Mild Italian Sausage at the Vitamin cottage because it is All Natural and contains no nitrates, preservatives or artificial ingredients. Paul said that it was good and that he liked it. Not an exciting recommendation, but I think he was just happy that I didn't serve frozen pizza, soup or grilled cheese sandwiches. I think he figures he doesn't even care what type of dietary experiment I am on, as long as I am cooking decent meals. I am sure that in and of itself is a welcomed change!

Crockpot Jambalaya

The Ingredients:

--5 fully cooked sausages; 2 spicy and 3 not-so-spicy. I chose 3 garlic-artichoke turkey and 2 turkey Louisiana hotlinks. They were left over from when I made this.
--2 cups chicken broth
--1/2 cup white wine
--1 cup raw brown rice
--1 can (and juice) Itallian stewed tomatoes
--1/2 can drained and rinsed black beans
--1/2 chopped onion
--1/2 head chopped garlic
--3 chopped celery spears
--1 green pepper
--1 red pepper
--1 cup frozen white corn kernals
--2 cups cooked frozen shrimp

The Directions:

--pour the broth, wine and the uncooked brown rice into the bottom of your stoneware. Stir the rice in the liquid.
--cover with chopped vegetables, frozen corn and garlic
--put in the black beans
--add sausage
I promise it's enough liquid.
--cook on low for 8-10 hours, high for 6.
--an hour before eating, stir in frozen shrimp and turn to high.

No comments:

Post a Comment