Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Homeopathic Medicine

In my attempt to broaden my horizons, to take preventative rather than simply acute care of my family's health and to have a global perspective of our health I started seeing a homeopathic doctor last August in addition to our regular medical physician and our chiropractor. This has been particularly wonderful because my homeopath, Susan Nemcek at the Willow Farm in Hygiene, CO, has a lot of experience in counseling as well as homeopathy. Not that there is a lot wrong with me (well, I don't think so) but I figured it would be nice have someone to talk with and to hear her perspective on my overall health. Plus, she was recommended to me by one of my best friends whom she has really helped.

So one may be wondering, What is Homeopathic Medicine? According to ABC Homeopathy homeopathic remedies are a system of medicine based on three principles:
  • Like cures like
For example, if the symptoms of your cold are similar to poisoning by mercury, then mercury would be your homeopathic remedy.
  • Minimal Dose
The remedy is taken in an extremely dilute form; normally one part of the remedy to around 1,000,000,000,000 parts of water.
  • The Single Remedy
No matter how many symptoms are experienced, only one remedy is taken, and that remedy will be aimed at all those symptoms.

Similar principals forms the basis of conventional allergy treatment, where the allergic substance is given in a small dose, and in vaccines where an impotent form of the virus is given to bolster the immune system against that particular virus.

I have found that working with Susan has helped me to make healthy decisions for my family in what I eat, my overexposure to medications and most importantly the importance of keeping myself and my family healthy so that we do not need medical interventions. Of course if I feel this is needed I am more than willing to seek medical help. However, my hope is that through our healthy lifestyle, a combination of healthy eating, exercise, homeopathic counseling, and regular visits to the chiropractor, we will remain healthy and will not require visits to the doctor, unless it is for well visits!

Homeopathic Remedies we take on a regular basis

1. Bioplasma - Taken as an immunity booster we take this everyday to simply fight off germs we come in contact with, similar to vitamin C.

2. Aconite - As soon as we feel a cold or illness coming on we take regular doses of aconite in order to shorten the intensity and duration of any illness.

3. Arnica - used to treat sore muscles, bruises, sore and aching joints. I basically consider it a safe advil. I also have arnica in a gel that I can use to rub on to sore muscles and aching neck (which is a common occurrence for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment